Frequently Asked Questions about Wireless Local Number Portability
If you can't find what you are looking for here, please feel free to call our Customer Solution department at 1-800-818-LINC (5462).
What is Wireless Local Number Portability (WLNP)?
This is an FCC mandated service that allows wireless customers the ability to switch wireless, home or business telephone carriers without giving up their existing phone numbers.
How do I bring my number to Southern Linc?
To find out if your current number is portable, call Southern Linc at 1-800-818-LINC (5462) to bring your current number to Southern Linc. Existing customers who want to switch other cell phone or landline phone numbers to Southern Linc may also call Customer Solution at 1-800-818-LINC (5462).
Where is WLNP available?
WLNP is available in the top 100 major markets in the U.S. Some smaller landline carriers have applied for porting deadline extensions because of non-compliant software or networking.
What is the cost of transferring my number to Southern Linc?
While there are no fees associated with processing the transfer of your number, Southern Linc customers will be assessed a monthly fee for costs associated with the implementation and support of WLNP. This is not a tax or government-required charge. Customers will still be responsible for paying all applicable fees and account charges to their current provider until the WLNP process is completed. Early termination fees from the former phone carrier may apply.
Are there any restrictions when transferring my number to Southern Linc?
- If you are moving outside the local area, you may not be able to take your number to that area.
- Only active, non-disconnected numbers can be transferred.
- Some phone numbers may not be portable.
To determine whether your phone number is portable, please contact Customer Solution at 1-800-818-LINC (5462) or call a local sales office.
Who can I call during the WLNP process to answer my questions?
Southern Linc provides you with a support group to help you through the transfer process. Customer Solution is available Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. CST-5:00p.m. CST to answer questions. Call the Customer Solution at 1-800-818-LINC (5462)
Can I dial emergency numbers during the WLNP transfer process?
Porting your number involves multiple systems that must be updated. The time it takes for these updates varies from 2 ½ hours to 14 days.
- During the porting process, if an emergency occurs, you will be able to call 911 from your cell phone.
- However, until the WLNP transfer is complete, we advise the customer to remain on the line after calling 911, until the operator advises the customer to hang up.
- If the call is disconnected before location and details have been provided, we advise you to call 911 again and advise the operator that you were disconnected.
- You will not be able to make non-emergency, non-911 phone calls until the WLNP transfer is completed.
If you have further questions about WLNP, please contact Customer Solution at 1-800-818-LINC (5462).